In June 2020 Catalyst Foundation received a grant from Be Connected to provide loan devices (tablets) to LGBTI+ people in our community over the age of 50. We have 7 loan devices, and these can be borrowed by anyone, of any skill level. This loan program is particularly designed for people who may not have had much, or any, experience using tablets or computers, but who’d like to learn.
If you are interested, or you know someone who might be, please contact Shaez via email: email@example.com.
What’s a device?
A device is a term that refers to technology that is usually hand-held, and acts like a computer. Our devices are what is known as ‘tablets’, which are bigger than phones, but smaller than laptop computers.
What can I use a device for?
They can be used for video-calling friends and family, attending online events, reading books, listening to audio books/podcasts/the radio, watching movies, TV & theatre, searching for information that interests you, receiving & sending emails, visiting virtual museums, ordering take-away…..and just about anything.
What you need to know:
- Anyone over 50 who identifies as LGBTIQA+ can borrow a device for free
- Loan periods are for 1 month, with possible extension
- You can borrow either an iPad or a Samsung tablet (more information can be provided about the difference)
- The devices are already set up, and lots of different things have been ‘installed’ ready for you to use
- Catalyst’s LGBTIQA+ Project Officer will meet with you to explain how to use the device
- You will need to connect your device to your home internet or you can arrange to borrow a portal modem from us and buy your own credit to use it
- If you already have a device, but don’t know how to use it, you are welcome to borrow one of ours to become familiar and to practise
- To borrow, you will need to sign a loan agreement form, which will be provided once you contact us.